A Modern-Day Civil Rights Hero



In Brown v. Board of Education, the United States Supreme Court declared separate public schools for black and white students unconstitutional. That was 1954. In 2011, one courageous lady has made Civil Rights history. Her cause would make the thirteen parents that filed the law suit against the Board of Education in Topeka, Kansas proud.

In a moment I'll provide the link to this wonderful story. But first I'll give a little backstory.

In May of this year, I was chatting with my mother by phone. She began telling me about a new friend of hers that had a trip scheduled to Arkansas that week. That friend, Treopia Green Washington, happens to be the sister of Ernest Green of the historical Little Rock Nine. She was returning to her home state of Arkansas to attend the commencement ceremony of the University of Arkansas, where her mother had received a master's degree in education.

Unfortunately, Treopia's mother wasn't allowed to attend her own commencement back in 1951, and Treopia never got over it. Her attendance at this year's University of Arkansas commencement represents a miracle of reconciliation -- exactly sixty years later.

Well, I won't give any more details. You just have to read the article that I wrote for AARP.org. And make sure you watch the video produced by AARP. It's a fabulous package.

Click here to read the story and watch the video. I hope this inspires you to fight whatever battles God personally calls you to fight. It truly has inspired me.

Walking in Justice and Mercy,

Carla

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ambassador: His Rise, Fall and Rise Again

I'm not angry. I'm mad!

Five Things Not to Say to Adoptive Parents