The Connecticut School Shooting: What Can You and I Do?



Most of you have heard the news already.

A young man of about 24 entered an elementary school in the small town of Newtown, Connecticut and killed 26 people. I've heard that twenty of those people were mere children.

As the news drones on and on and the facts stack up about this heinous crime, many of us are dumbfounded. How could someone enter a school and randomly kill so many young, innocent children? Why didn't someone see this coming? And what can we do to prevent another massacre like this one?

Well, I don't have any answers to these questions. But I do want to share what I plan to do in the midst of this national tragedy.

Look Up

At times like this, no one has any real answers. We debate about gun control and the government setting the example for the rest of the world by getting along. We stress that we've got to be more vigilant about stressing mental healthcare for our family and friends.

But really there are no answers.

So, at this time I'm looking up. Looking up to the One that's omniscient (all-knowing) and has all the answers -- even the answers He chooses not to share with me. Even in times like this, He gives me comfort and assurance. He's still the King of Kings. He's still sovereign. And He's still in control.

Look Out

In this time of tragedy, I find myself focusing a lot less on myself and my life. My problems seem ridiculously miniscule compared to what others have suffered today. Compassion and empathy rule my heart. I think of how the mothers of those sweet children that passed away must feel. And it brings me to tears.

Looking out also brings me to my knees in prayer -- prayer for the victims' loved ones, prayer for New Town, Connecticut, prayer for this country. And in prayer I thank God for a day when there will be no more death, no more pain, no more suffering. I thank God for heaven, where little children won't be in danger of being shot down by an evil gunman.

I thank God that faith in Christ can give me this hope for a better day.

Have you found this hope in the Son?

Look In

Today, I've remembered to look into the faces of my own children and be grateful. I'm so thankful for my children with their rambunctious, imperfect selves. I'm thankful that three of them went to school today and returned home -- safe and unharmed. I am thankful for my husband, a great provider and protector and lover of God.

I look within my own home, and instead of scorning or correcting every flaw I see, I am simply grateful.

Love,

Carla





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ambassador: His Rise, Fall and Rise Again

I'm not angry. I'm mad!

The Shooting of Michael Brown: What I Know for Sure