Why Sojourner of Truth?

Today I begin my second journey into the world of blogging. Years ago I began a blog, enjoyed it for a while, then decided it was more time-consuming and heart-revealing than I was really wanting. This time I've purposed to stick this thing out. Well, we'll see, won't we?

I thought I'd begin by explaining the name of my blog -- Sojourner of Truth. There are a few reasons; today I'll focus on the first. I am totally intrigued and inspired by Sojourner Truth, a woman born into slavery. After escaping the bonds of U.S. slavery Sojourner became one of history's most famous abolitionists and women's rights activists. Born Isabella Baumfree, she changed her name to Sojourner Truth, telling her friends "The Spirit calls me, and I must go."

In her famous speech, "Ain't I A Woman", Truth proclaimed at the 1851 Ohio Women's Rights Convention "I have heard the Bible and have learned that Eve caused man to sin. Well, if woman upset the world, do give her a chance to set it right side up again... And how came Jesus into the world? Through God who created Him and the woman who bore him. Man, where was your part?"

As I sojourn through 21st Century America, I pray that I would have the chutzpah of this sister. May I stand for what's right, even if -- and when -- I stand alone. May I always proclaim God and His truth, no matter how unpopular. So for this, my first blog, I pay homage to Sojourner Truth. A woman of purpose, a woman of God, a woman of Truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ambassador: His Rise, Fall and Rise Again

I'm not angry. I'm mad!

Five Things Not to Say to Adoptive Parents