Faith Beyond My Years

For the past few weeks, I've been attending a Bible study at Mosaic Church taught by three of my favorite ladies. The study, entitled "Faithful, Abundant and True: Three Lives Going Deeper Still", is taught by Kay Arthur, Priscilla Shirer and Beth Moore. This study has convicted and challenged me tremendously.

This past week, Kay challenged us through the eleventh chapter of Hebrews, often deemed the "Hall of Faith". I was once again challenged by the faithful steps of  Noah, Abraham, Moses and so many others. But what spoke to me deeply through God's Word this week was verse 4:

"By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead."

Amazing. "And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead."

On July 18 of this year, I lost a dear cousin, Marcus L. Adair. Marcus and I grew up close -- geographically and relationally. In my early twenties we landed teaching jobs at the same elementary school, and carpooled together in the mornings and afternoons. Since we shared the last name Adair, our most difficult task there was convincing our coworkers that we were cousins, and not husband and wife. 

Marcus was bright, extremely talented and always smiling. Having earned a PhD in Higher Education Administration and Policy, he had accomplished much in just 43 years. And yet he had the potential and resources to achieve so much more. But Marcus suffered from severe seizures, and the Lord decided to take him home a bit early.

In just a few years, I will reach the age of 43. Who knows how many more years the Lord will give me? When a young person passes away, it makes us all -- young and old -- consider our mortality. I've certainly considered mine. Through Hebrews 11 God has commended me to live a life of faith. A life so full of faith that the testimony of that faith extends beyond my years on earth. I pray that the epitaph on my tombstone could boldly proclaim:

"And by faith Carla still speaks, even though she is dead." And may God receive all the glory for that faith.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ambassador: His Rise, Fall and Rise Again

I'm not angry. I'm mad!

The Shooting of Michael Brown: What I Know for Sure