Thriller Turns 30: There Will Never Be Another...




Today marks the 30th Anniversary of King of Pop Michael Jackson's Thriller, considered one of the greatest albums of all time. 30 years ago, this album was released and went on to sell over 42 million certified copies (with estimates actually reaching 110 million). With hits like "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and "Thriller," this album is still the best selling album of all time.

I was a young lass when this album hit stores -- back in the day when you had to physically enter a store and purchase an album. (For my younger readers, those were also the days that dinosaurs roamed the earth.) I can't remember exactly who in my household purchased the album, but I'd guess that my sister -- ten years older than me -- made the transaction.

What I do remember? For me, Thriller was love at first hearing.

Over the years, I've come to love a lot of music and many artists of various genres, but I don't think anyone's music has been quite like Michael Jackson's. It was revolutionary... mesmerizing.

When I was a little girl, I remember my parents discussing the greats of their time: Jackie Robinson, Joe Lewis, Nat King Cole, and many others. The comment they would make over and over again, especially when one of "the greats" passed away was, "Man, there will never be another."

I didn't understand their words then. But then I grew up to see and hear a few greats myself.

Today, the first thought that popped into my head about Thriller's anniversary was, Man, there will never be another...

There will always be great singers, great dancers, great performers. But there will never be another Michael Jackson.

Today, I leave you with another thought. What will be said about you when you leave this earth? Will people remember you as one of the greats of your time?

Wouldn't it be amazing if when people thought of you and me, they shook their heads, pursed their lips and said:

"Man, there will never be another person who loves other people so well..."

"There will never be another who cares so deeply for the poor, the homeless, the needy, the orphan..."

Or --

"There will never be another who loves and serves God with so much passion.."

We still have time to make a difference here on earth. We still have time to care for those in need of the basic necessities that we frivolously throw away. We still have time to love God and others well.

You still have time to -- as Michael would say -- "make the world a better place, take a look at yourselves and make a change."



Love,

Carla

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ambassador: His Rise, Fall and Rise Again

Five Things Not to Say to Adoptive Parents

The Shooting of Michael Brown: What I Know for Sure